This four-year program pairs MWLBE contractors with large, well-known Construction Managers who provide individualized on-the-job training and guidance. In exchange for a multi-year commitment, prequalified and certified firms have the opportunity to bid against other Mentor firms for projects with an estimated value of up to $750,000, allowing them to establish a long-term business relationship with the SCA. The program also offers the following additional support for Mentor firm growth:
- Mentor Loan Program – The SCA provides access to capital for small contractors. Firms that participate in the Mentor Program are eligible to apply for loans of up to $150,000.
- Construction and Information Technology Training – The SCA provides an innovative and effective classroom program that offers training in a variety of disciplines.
- Surety Bond Program – Firms receive assistance applying for and obtaining surety bonding – a requirement for performing that offers training in a variety of disciplines.
Graduate Mentor Program
The two-year Graduate Mentor Program provides MWLBE firms that have successfully completed the Mentor Program with the experience and support necessary to transition from smaller projects to compete successfully in the SCA’s Capital Improvement Program. Graduate Mentor firms bid against each other for projects with an estimated value of between $750,000 and $1 million.
MWLBE Participation in Construction and Consultant Subcontracts
- MWLBE participation is of the evaluation criteria used when reviewing RFPs submitted by consultants and professional services firms.
- The SCA requires that general contractors meet the goals of 20% MWLBE subcontract participation for all Capital Improvement and Capacity Construction Projects valued at over $1 million.